12 March 2007

To Tell the Truth (a lesson in Grace, humility, and/or the lack thereof)

I hope seminary doesn't make me into a jerk.

My last post talked about my chance to attend a few different worship services last weekend. Well, the first one I went to was a place where several good friends attend. Before the service started, I was looking through the bulletin/handout, and read a statement that just didn't sound theologically sound--especially after having taken a course regarding the same topic last quarter. When two good friends came up to my wife and me to ask my opinion about the quotes in the flyer, I clearly barked out my disapproval regarding the aforementioned statement. After an awkward silence, one of my friends told me that the person who prepared the bulletin was well meaning, but didn't have the same theological training I was currently getting. I just shrugged my shoulders, and as the band started into the first song, both friends walked back to their seats.

It took my amazingly wise and perceptive wife to call me out later that evening, telling me that what I said wasn't really appropriate.

"But I'm right, aren't I?" I said in defense.

"Probably, but that certainly wasn't the right time or the right way to say what you said," she calmly answered.

I shrugged my shoulders again and tried to focus on the song being played by the band. But it sunk in during the next few minutes... even if I was correct about my observation about the bulletin,I had absolutely no tact or grace in how I spoke to my friends, my sisters in Christ.

Perhaps as God's way of putting an exclamation point on this whole lesson in humility, the person who likely was hurt the most by my words came up to me and actually tried to apologize for reacting badly to my comments. I told her that the only one who needed to apologize was me, and I did so. We even ended up having a great discussion about the topic in question, and any fractures caused by my actions were quickly repaired.

Being at Fuller has been a fantastic experience; my time in this program has exceeded all of my expectations. I often feel that my brain cannot possibly absorb all that I've learned about myself, my God, and the world I hope to minister to in the futre. But instances like last Friday night haven't been unique lately. I feel led to be able to utilize what I'm learning in seminary, but I haven't quite found the balance of how to communicate truth tactfully or lovingly. At least, not all the time. I pray for more and more Grace each day, comforted by the fact that God is willing to give it. The last thing I want to do is become one of the very things that frustrates me about much of modern Western Christianity--one who thinks that dispensing truth means railroading over a person's place in their own journey. Who wants to receive a Message from a self-righteous Messenger?

God, grant us all wisdom and Grace as we share the truth of Your Word and of Your Love. May people see You when they witness our actions and words.

PS... Lord, had I mentioned lately how AWESOME my wife is? Thank You for such a wise and caring partner who isn't afraid to speak honestly (yet compassionately). :-)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, oh, you're becoming one of those thoughtful theological worship types, huh? Hmmm....?

Interesting comments, but we do have to watch ourselves, don't we?

Ed