12 March 2007

In the Same Boat

I had the opportunity to attend two other worship services besides my own this weekend. I spoke to the worship leader at the first church, and the director of media at the second. In both cases, there was dialog about the challenges and graces involved with watching volunteers coming and going over the course of time. Though both churches were extremely different than my own (the first being a small niche service geared towards those in substance recovery, and the second being essentially a megachurch), it was a comfort to hear that all of us in leadership positions deal with many of the same issues regarding getting team members to commit, to be consistent, etc. It was a good feeling to know that someone leading a church of thousands had something common with little ol' me and my itty bitty church on a corner in the foothills.

About five or six years ago, I toyed with the idea of trying to set up a network where local worship leaders could get together to allow time to unpack and process, to be themselves among others who understand the joys and pressures of leading a congregation. I never really got anything going with that (getting married does change your prioritites!), but recent events, along with my time at Fuller these past two years, is bringing the idea to the surface again. Lead pastors often have these kinds of networks, it seems that worship leaders should, too! Hmm, I'll have to let this simmer some more... any ideas out there?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting idea. I remember when you mentioned this to me all those years ago. Sounds like something that would be helpful, although I too am dealing with changing priorities. Definitely something to let simmer though.

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.