07 March 2007

Chapel Thoughts

This morning, I was part of the worship team for Chapel at Fuller. Here are some quick reflections...

1. For someone like me who serves in a leading capacity every week, it's nice once in a while to step back and be part of the team for a change. It was fun to stand a bit more in the background and just do as you're told. (All the joys of playing with little or none of the responsibility. Gotta love it.)

2. It's also fun to stretch yourself from time to time and get out of your comfort zone. I played bass guitar, which I seldom do but can fake my way through (yay for years of music theory!). It also helps me to appreciate the focus that bass players have. Even though it may be only one note at a time, there's a lot of concentration that goes into that instrument.

3. When playing bass guitar, be sure to know exactly where your cord is, so as not to step on it (and subsequently disconnect said bass guitar) in the middle of an upbeat song. For those of you who have seen me nearly fall off of the stage when directing choir, this is basically the instrumental version of that. I started getting into an upbeat song, and then wondered why the sound from the bass suddenly dropped out...

Just about everyone that was participating in this small group (about 5-6 of us) are or were worship leaders, so there was a nice chemistry going, as well as a very professional atmosphere. I even learned a new term this week that will come in handy for my own rehearsals at church!

These are the kinds of experiences that drew me to enroll at Fuller--opportunities to connect, serve and learn simultaneously. Though I'm quite stressed out this week (last week of the quarter) and overwhelmed with tasks, this morning was a good break from the madness and a chance to bask in the renewal and joy that comes from offering praise to God.

No comments: